NOTIFICATION TO WTO
The European Commission has notified the World Trade Organization (WTO) of a draft Commission Regulation amending Annex III and Annex VI to Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 on cosmetic products. Annex III lists the substances which cosmetic products must not contain except subject to the restrictions laid down and Annex VI indicates the list of UV filters allowed in cosmetic products.
Based on the latest scientific opinions published by the Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS), the proposed amendments will apply to the following ingredients:
- BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene; CAS number: 128-37-0) (see previous post)
- Acid Yellow 3 (CAS number: 38615-46-2)
- Resorcinol (CAS number: 108-46-3)
- HAA299 (Bis-(Diethylaminohydroxybenzoyl Benzoyl) Piperazine; CAS number: 919803-06-8) (see previous post)
- Homosalate (CAS number: 118-56-9)
Restrictions on the use of BHT and Acid Yellow 3 (used as a hair dye) are added to Annex III, as well as an amendment to labelling requirements for Resorcinol used as hair dye (Annex III, entry 22). The use of HAA299 as a UV filter will be allowed in cosmetic products and this ingredient will be added to Annex VI. The use of Homosalate as a UV filter will be further restricted in cosmetic products, amending the existing restriction in Annex VI (entry 3).
The proposed date of adoption is set for the 4th quarter of 2022.
The amendments to the Regulation will enter into force 20 days after its publication in the Official Journal of the European Union.
If you wish to get more information on these ingredients and their use in cosmetic products, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 30 November 2009 on cosmetic products.
- Committee on Technical Barriers to Trade – Notification – European Union. G/TBT/N/EU/886. 12 April 2022.